Friday, January 4, 2013

Our First Christmas

KGK and I had our first Christmas as a married couple this year. Everything was going so wonderfully until an hour before his entire family was to arrive at our house for Christmas dinner. Cue the vomiting...  No, seriously. Let me explain...

The weekend before Christmas, KGK and I enjoyed a relaxing weekend, did some cleaning and organizing, and we were anxiously anticipating having our first Christmas Eve and Christmas as hitched folk. We also were excited to host his family on Christmas day for dinner (pot-luck style...took the pressure off!). Needless to say, everything was going perfectly. We decided to start a tradition to open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, have a stay-in dinner of wings and beer (we are classy), and watch a movie. Perfect if you ask me. So we went about our first Christmas Eve traditions and woke up to a fantastic Christmas morning. Gifts were opened, Skype calls to family that lived away from us occurred, and we began the cooking for the evening meal.

Now, about 2 hours before his family was scheduled to arrive, I started to feel sick to my stomach. I thought it was from a richer breakfast than I was used to, but it wouldn't go away. It only escalated into more pain and nausea. It is now 1 hour before family is to arrive and I cannot stand up long enough to make my last few menu items. I wore a mask in case I was getting sick and tried to complete the last few projects. Then, it happened. I am standing there preparing the stuffing and I have to run to the bathroom. The time is around 3pm and I had my first vom session. Sorry, that's gross. But well, it was.

Fast forward about 2.5 hours, KGK has been entertaining family while I am violently sick in the back bedroom/bathroom. Then, he comes back. It is about 5:30pm. He feels it too. Vom session numero dos. For the next couple hours, both hosts are in the bedroom, quarantined from our guests. We appeared briefly to say we were done for the night and that they were welcome to use our living room for all the time they wanted.  His family is wonderful.  They picked up our living room, did a bunch of dishes and had an assortment of foods in foil in the frig for when we feel better and are ready to grub later on the Christmas feast.

The next 24 hours, after KGK came back into the bedroom (about 5:30pm), are a blur.  That was the worst stomach bug I have ever had. Ever. And man, is it going around! I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. It took me until New Years Day to feel like myself again. Needless to say, I got a lot of rest and caught up on several different shows that played in marathon fashion throughout those last days of 2012. I am ready for 2013 and no more bugs!

So that was our first Christmas together. Alternating turns in the bathroom. Lover-ly. But, as KGK said, at least we got to spend it together, even if it was back in the bedroom, miserable while the Christmas spirit lived on in the rest of our house.

So Happy 2013 everyone! I hope you escaped that nasty bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment